Gill's blog

On 1st February 2006 I left London for Ethiopia. I have given up my job in Camden to volunteer for a couple of years with Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO). If you want to find out more about VSO visit their website www.vso.org.uk.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

I did one brainstorm on the training where I asked them “What is maths” – one group wrote that it was like the honey on bread – I think that is one Ethiopian proverb that doesn’t quite translate!

I missed Connie when I was getting ready for training – mind you, I can’t do multiple sets of matching activities here because the teachers just wouldn’t have the resources to duplicate them. The big yellow screen in the photo was for my matching activity!

Did I tell you that I have started a group for female teacher educators at the college? They wanted English language practice but I have subverted it a little to make it focussed on their professional development. I had them writing CPD plans in the last session! We meet twice a week and it helps me feel a bit connected with people.

The week before last we went to Addis for a meeting of volunteers working in Cluster units around the country. These cluster units are usually based in Teacher training colleges and they develop and run training for local teachers. I was great to be with other professionals and hear what people were doing. For me tho, the best part of the trip to Addis was my meeting with Beverly, who works in the Ministry of Education overseeing the Higher Diploma Programme (that Mike and I ran in Awassa). I had suggested some changes to the assessment system they used and arranged to meet up to talk about it. In the meantime I had proposed re-writing the whole module on Action Research – amazing what you will volunteer to do when you are stuck in a room on your own for some time. Beverly was a consultant in the south of England somewhere and it was great to talk frankly with someone from a similar background. So I have given myself lots of work to do!

I have also signed up for a course with the Open University. About 10 years ago I did a module for the Masters degree in Education (Leadership and Management) thinking I might work up to a doctorate! Well, you never know. Now I am doing a module called “Researching Mathematics Learning” – the set book is by John Mason, so my maths colleagues will need me to say no more. It looks like a fantastically interesting course. Sadly, I am already behind with my work as I signed up late and my books haven’t yet arrived from the UK.

What else is new? A new volunteer from Canada arrived the other day to work at our college – she is amazing, over 70 years old and this is her third VSO placement (so no excuses mum!). Very interesting stories to tell. Next week there should be someone else coming – an IT volunteer for college so maybe I will be able to use the internet at college soon!

Speaking of my mother, she is off in Cuba at the moment so I am looking forward to hearing all about her trip.

Ok, that’s it for now. I will add some photos. I have made a spinach curry and a dahl and Mike is finishing some crepes so I am off to stuff myself.


Don't forget, I can't get into my own blog here so there is not point in leaving comments. You can of course, email me at gilladams@yahoo.com with any feedback!!! Or you can write (PO Box 1090, Gondar, Ethiopia).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home