Gill's blog

On 1st February 2006 I left London for Ethiopia. I have given up my job in Camden to volunteer for a couple of years with Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO). If you want to find out more about VSO visit their website www.vso.org.uk.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Susan, I love you!! Today we got your parcel at work - so exciting! Who would believe that we could get so excited about a two week old newspaper, a couple of packs of blutac, some pens, chocolate and some fruit tea bags.... I think the trick to get the chocolate through without it being nicked worked well. We also got the first edition of Guardian weekly today (dated 3rd March so I hope they don't all take that long). As if that wasn't enough excitement, later in the day I was given a ticket to take to the post office to collect a parcel. My first experience of the post office - I had to wait whilst a form was completed, complex calculations were done and then 5 birr 25 was demanded from me. Apparently the parcel had been there for a couple of weeks and I had to pay storage! Hmmm..... if I'd known it was there, I'd have gone to collect it... Anyway, our first delivering from Amazon. I'm amazed that we have managed to get things through in one piece - we've heard lots of stories about things going missing in the post.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:34 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    excellent!

    Two questions:

    - was the chocolate melted?

    - were the teabags ok or is that a bit like sending coals to newcastle??

     
  • At 8:36 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    oh, and now we know that things can get through, I will send another parcel to you next week.

    Two grand prixs, some episodes of ER.

    And is there anything else you need there? (Not sure I can post cold white wine, though!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home