Gill's blog

On 1st February 2006 I left London for Ethiopia. I have given up my job in Camden to volunteer for a couple of years with Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO). If you want to find out more about VSO visit their website www.vso.org.uk.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Seven pm. I’ve been standing on the terrace in the dark, listening to the rain and watching the sky. We’re at the tail end of the most enormous downpour we have had in a long time – I was working late (some things never change!) and heard the thunder. I hurtled down the hill on my bike and just made it through the gate as the drops got heavier. Outside, everywhere is flooded – I was hoping to go to the shop but it will be a mud bath out there. The weather in Ethiopia seems to be a bit mad lately – after all the drought in various parts of the country there has been really bad flooding – over 250 people killed and the same number missing in Dire Dawa in the east of the country, about 300 killed a bit further south from here and problems also in the north, all following flash floods.

Went up to Addis on Sunday for a workshop and back here on Tuesday. Re-learned the lesson that there is no such thing as a full line taxi. Fortunately on the way to the bus station I was wedged securely in to my place by a rather fat man. The only good thing really about the journey between here and Addis is the end. Well, that isn’t strictly true. It was interesting seeing how the countryside has changed since we first arrived – much more lush and green (and in some places, flooded); a contrast to the dry conditions of February.

The bed bugs seem to have taken off of their own accord thankfully and the nights continue undisturbed apart from the constant howling and barking of dogs, the irritating little dawn song of what looks like an oversized sparrow and the vultures playing football on the roof (that’s what it sounds like anyhow). We have a tin roof and vultures are very heavy footed. They are almost the ugliest birds I’ve ever seen – outdone only by the Marabou stork. I’ll get some photos and you can decide for yourselves.

Really enjoying my English group – not sure how much they are learning really but since I didn’t have any kind of decent course description I’m not too worried. They are doing lots of talking, learning different active learning methods and having fun. I’m still waiting for the ideas to flood in from those of you with any experience teaching English. Yesterday I took a bag of various objects in and we spent some time talking about a broken pair of scissors. You wouldn’t think there was much to say on the subject would you really? I also took a photo of Harry and Alfie playing on a Northumberland beach – this was quite difficult for them to talk about as they had no experience of the sea nor of children playing. The closest children get to playing here is running along the road with an old tyre and a stick. Anyway, they all enjoyed working in groups having conversations about these things.

We are planning to go to the campsite on Saturday night for an Indian meal – can’t wait. In Addis nine of us went out to Aladdin and squandered vast amounts of money on fabulous food and wine. Such luxury. I have to say I much more content with things here now after having been home. We live really well here – my diet is so much better than it was in England.


One last thing - I can't ever get in to ready the blog so if you do post any messages it would be great if you emailed them to me too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home